Friday 11 July 2014

Me... Exercise?!

Reference: http://www.ekhartyoga.com/blog/category/quotes

This summer I set myself the goal of losing weight, toning up, and just generally feeling better about how I look, and better about how I feel in myself. When I was younger I was extremely sporty, on several sports teams, always at one dance class or another, but when I developed a bone disorder I was told to cut it all back. It was honestly the worst thing I've ever done. Every year I feel my fitness worsening, my flexibility decreasing and I generally just feel more sluggish than I've ever done before.

So this is just a quick post about my exercise routine so far. I've been sticking to it for about 3 weeks now and I am already feeling better. I say 'routine' loosely - I know I will never look like Lucy Meck or Michelle Keegan (sob) and I'm trying to ENJOY exercise rather than forcing myself to do it in any free time I have. I know I will always have a sweet tooth and be a complete foodie, and so I've had to be realistic!

1) Swimming - I have been going swimming twice a week with my best friend. We do 50 lengths, taking as few breaks as possible, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I love swimming because everything is moving all at once, and I read you burn about 350 calories in half an hour which I think is great. I have a bone disorder in my leg and I find swimming isn't too taxing. 

Reference: http://www.runvermont.org/therundown/boston-hopeful2014/run-forrest-run-boston-hopeful-lili/

2) Running - I say running loosely. I'm only just really starting out on this, and this is the one I've been most nervous about! I still haven't plucked up the courage to run in public, because I know it would look like something from Forrest Gump. Running was a tricky one for me. When you're starting out it's important to alternate running and speedwalking to build up stamina and everything, but I just wasn't sure how you were supposed to go about it. Until I discovered the NHS Choices Couch to 5k app for my phone. It doesn't interfere if you like to play music with your phone, and sets out for you a 9 week plan in which you gradually build up your running time until you eventually run 5k! I'm only half way through week 1 but I find it so useful how it tells you when to run and when to walk. 

http://cphsfitlife.wordpress.com/
3) Yoga - I attended my first Yoga class on Wednesday. My Mum has been pestering me for ages to go because I'm a wee bit of a stresshead, and my sister-in-law has been going for ages so I decided to tag along. I found it super relaxing but so many of the moves were good for stretching and I hope my flexibility improves as I continue at the classes. I like Yoga because you can push yourself to the point YOU know you are limited at, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has considered going before. 

I am also planning on doing a bit of Legs, Bums and Tums, and learning to ride a bike! (I know, I'm 20 and I can't ride a bike properly!) My legs are definitely my worst 'problem area' I would say, and so I think both of these will help them a lot. I'm not going to be weighing myself much, as I feel like weighing yourself weekly is a waste of time. If you're a girl, your weight changes throughout the month anyway, and it's just so demotivating if you find you haven't lost any in a week. As long as my weight is falling over the longer term, but more importantly, I'm feeling better about myself, I'll be happy. When I next weigh myself, I'll try to remember to let you know if all my hard work has paid off!

I don't know much about fitness. This stuff may not work for you or you might absolutely hate it. In my opinion, I think if you can find exercise you enjoy, you're more likely to stick to it. Also, these workout programmes that are intense and you are expected to do them every day - I know when I'm working or at university, or sometimes just enjoying time with my family or friends, I know I'm not going to stick to it. Incorporate things into your existing schedule rather than setting unrealistic targets and I think you can't go far wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...