Wednesday 2 July 2014

The Fault In Our Stars - Book & Film Review

Note: I'm not going to give anything away in this blog post, I promise!

I am struggling to even start writing this blog post without welling up, remembering my favourite scenes from TFIOS last night! Last week my best friend Beth asked me if I fancied going to see The Fault in Our Stars. I'm not going to lie, I hadn't even heard of the novel, let alone the film! But after seeing the trailer, I was so intrigued I rushed online to buy the book (£3.45 from Amazon; a lot better than the £8 in Waterstones!)
There is no other way I can recommend this book, than by saying that I began reading the book at 1pm one afternoon, and had it finished cover to cover by 10.30pm! I just couldn't put it down. It is quite an easy read, which really appealed to me. Usually I like something more complex with twists and turns, and I must admit I had guessed what was going to happen within the first 50 or so pages, but the story is just so beautifully written and unlike anything I had read before. The
I would definitely recommend reading the book before seeing the film. In the book I rather enjoyed reading about Augustus' previous relationship, which the film doesn't mention (unless I was so busy sobbing I missed it!) I feel the film doesn't really portray the depth of his character like the book does, but obviously there are constraints within a film that can't be avoided. (Anyone who has read the Harry Potter franchise and then see the films I am sure will agree!)
The film was still AMAZING. Having read the book a few days before, it was all so fresh in my mind that I was crying before anything had even happened! I was really pleased with the selection of actors; I always have this fear that the actors won't portray the character like I interpreted them - obviously everyone interprets them slightly differently, and you can't please everyone. (But I was so annoyed with Bella in the Twilight films - not like I imagined her at all!)  But with this film, the actors (in my opinion) were SPOT ON. Hazel in particular was exactly as I imagined her to be, this sarcastic funny girl with the underlying fears she doesn't let surface 99% of the time.
My favourite quotes from the book and film include:



I have never read any other novels about terminal illness to compare it to, but I think the book approached the subject both delicately but honestly. While showing the darker side of cancer; i.e. the hospitals, the pains, what the families of sufferers go through, the thoughts and feelings of those suffering, and because those with cancer in the book and film are so young - but there was also humour throughout, and I think the book and film could honestly appeal to anyone. I'm trying to not give anything away, but I do urge anyone reading this to go and see it - and preferably read it first!

What did you think to the book/film?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...