Saturday 2 August 2014

My Love of Travel

When I was cleaning my room earlier, I noticed my travel memories on my window sill. With being away at university for at least 30 weeks a year, I haven't really paid much attention to them in a while if I'm honest. 

I'm a person who absolutely loves collecting little knick knacks, particularly when I'm travelling. I love being able to look at something and remember where I was, what I was doing and thinking, when I bought it. 



From left to right:

Sand in a jar - This sand was actually the contents of my walking boots when I returned from my World Challenge expedition to Botswana and Namibia in Africa! My sister-in-law bought me a pretty little jar to collect it up in. I did buy various souvenirs out there, but when I was cleaning my boots and discovered half of the Sahara desert, I decided this would be the perfect memento to remind myself of how challenging the experience was and how proud of myself I am. We walked 28km most days, walking from 6am to sometimes even 10pm at night. It was truly the most rewarding experience of my life.

Mickey and Minnie Snowglobe - I purchased this on my second trip to Disneyland Paris. I first went when I was two and can't remember much, so I'm glad I got to go again with school. I would love to go back, particularly when I have a family of my own. The magic of Disney is that it brings out the kid and fun in anyone, no matter how old you are. We went in December and it was so beautiful!

Houses of Parliament Snowglobe - Ok, so while this isn't international travel, it has been a dream of mine to visit the Houses of Parliament since I was about 14, what with me being a Politics student and all. Between the ages of 15 and 16, I debated in the House of Commons twice with Youth Parliament, and also completed work experience with my MP for a week. Not only have I done the official tour, but I've seen the parts only employees are allowed to see!

Costa del Sol Snowglobe - When I was younger, we used to holiday in Spain at least twice a year. We absolutely love it as a family - the weather is usually nice and my dad hates long haul flights. This snowglobe will always remind me of those memories of being a kid running around the pool, and jumping in with hundreds of inflatables! And Mum pesting me to put that horrible thick blue sunblock on my face (pale people problems)

Berlin Snowglobe - I went on a school trip to Berlin when I was in my final year of sixth form, aged 17. As a huge history geek, I had such an amazing time, looking at various WW2 and Cold War sites of interest. We even stood over where Hitler's bunker was. It was absolutely amazing, but colder than you could imagine! Some days it was -15! 

Tunisia Camel Snowglobe - Tunisia was my holiday destination of Summer 2013. It was great to have such a relaxing time after a stressful term at university, what with exams and everything. Even though I was absolutely terrified, I convinced myself into going on a camel ride. Tunisia is so hot, it was an amazing holiday! I loved the cultural experience that is so different from Europe, and it's really cheap too, so perfect for any students looking for some sun and travel!

Statue of Liberty Figure and Obama Bobblehead - These were purchased in my favourite place in the entire world - NEW YORK. I went with school when I was 17 for five days, but also went for my 18th birthday for 10 days. It was the holiday of a lifetime. Not only did I see EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, New York has to offer, I spent far too much money! (I blame you, Tiffany and Co!) As a Politics student, I couldn't resist this Obama bobblehead, even though I've never been to Washington. I would love to return to New York again in a few years, and maybe catch an internal flight to Las Vegas, to extend my holiday! 


This post probably seems really random, but seeing these made me enter a mood of reflection. I'm only just 20 and I've been fortunate enough to see so much of the world already. And trust me, I can't wait to see even more of it! I definitely recommend getting out there and seeing as much of the world as you can. I am a traveller at heart. I love seeing the world and feel like every holiday and journey I've been on has really shaped me as a person and given me valuable experiences.



Do you enjoy travelling? Are you a collector of any little knick knacks?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...